From the very beginning, it was clear the museum would have Biosca’s name, Badrinas would be president and the young historian Francesc Torrella Niubó would be its director.
Abadal died in 1947 and, three years later, his son-in-law Juan Llusà del Corral put a second part of the collection up for sale, which the museum in Terrassa purchased. With this second acquisition (1,429 textiles), the collection then had nearly four thousand textiles from time periods ranging from the 4th through the 19th centuries: Coptic, Andalusian, Byzantine, Persian, Chinese, Japanese, Turkish, Pre-Colombian, European, prints, religious items, passementerie and more. It was, by far, the largest collection in the country. From that point, the collection grew modestly through individual donations, as the textiles were organised and classified.
From the beginning, the museum sought a permanent location, which was seen as urgent given the horrible conditions the industrial warehouse was in, which affected the textiles. Torrella called for proper facilities with an office, library, archive, storeroom and other spaces, and proposed the building that was to be home to the Industrial Institute, even though it wasn’t the most appropriate for exhibitions. Another option was the Charterhouse castle, although it was too out of the way. The third space they considered, although it was a more ambitious project, was to build a new construction on land near the Engineering schools and the Institute of Textile Research.
2. From private to municipal museum
In 1953, the museum was set up as a trusteeship of Museo Textil Biosca and the collection was finally moved to the Industrial Institute of Terrassa, in the former Pasqual Sala storehouse at Carrer Sant Pau 6, with the corporation of the city’s textile businesspeople in charge. In early January 1956, the new exhibition space opened to the public in the mornings, by appointment and free of charge. Three years later, in 1959, the industrialists decided to gift the museum to the city, on the condition that the city council would cover the expenses and the Industrial Institute would play an active role in managing it. So, in September 1960, a new board of trustees was set up, chaired by the mayor of Terrassa, with members from the Industrial Institute and other organisations. At this time, the name was changed to Museo Municipal Textil Biosca, although it remained in the same provisional location.